9/06/2010

DIY CD wallet for car console

Something that's always bothered me about my car console is that it's clearly designed to store my CDs in, but at the same time it's only big enough for at-most 10 CDs in their case, and if I take them out I scratch up my Oomph! disk collection and need to order them from Germany, or even worse I can't flip through them easily I have to jumble around with a stack of them just to find one disk. A CD wallet would be great, but I can't easily access that, and I hate those damn visor strap CD things after my last one scratched them up and only held about 20.

So what am I doing? It's 6pm, I'm going to make and document how long it takes me to make a better one.

I took a magazine (actually it's a offer to buy stocks for Potash from BHPbillition for $130 when they're worth $148, LOL WUT?), and some scissors. CD cases to judge size.

I took a CD case to see how high the flaps should be. I need to bind this like a thicker book would be, so we're going to end up using the first few centimetres of the already-bound pages to space it out. Just put a CD on it so it aligns with the open-side of the magazine, and crease into it where it is. Trim off the extra length on the top of the magazine (the CD case should have about a bit of space on both sides)

6:07pm (Junky scissors caused shredded paper everywhere).

Folded pages inward like they do with big bound textbooks (grab a few pages, fold the previous crease in to the centre, grab some more, keep going...)

6:12pm.

It needs to be bound together at the bottom... found me some paper-clips, going to cut some holes through it... corkscrew anyone?

6:19 pm,

This is taking longer than I thought, maybe I should have found a hole-punch rather than just a knife.


Just have to fold each flap in so the CDs stay in.

6:27, there's a lot of page in this...
Started folding multiple pages then separating.

6:30. Almost done....



6:32: I should have just put a ribbon around the thing's outside walls and cut it smaller... Oh well, only 20 more pages.

6:37. Done. Going to put CDs in it and take a picture later when I get it into my car.

Total cost: I cut up a booklet sent to me by people trying to talk me out of $20 a share.


Alternate solution:

A few sheets of paper, fold it back and forth like a Chinese fan, cut CD-sized holes along every downward fold, put CDs in holes and you're done. Probably only going to take 5 minutes, just fold back and forth, then snip a curve across the lower side. Probably want to use a card-stock?

Less fun solution: Goto the store and buy one of those folders with separators, cut to size for console.